Faulty Christmas lights spark house fire in Spokane Valley

<p><p>A house in the 14700 block of East Rockwell Avenue caught fire early Tuesday, and officials said malfunctioning holiday lights were at least partly to blame.</p></p><p><p>No residents or pets were injured, but the home did sustain structural damage, according to a news release from the Spokane Valley Fire Department.</p></p><p><p>At 3:15 a.m., a homeowner called the fire department and reported their house was on fire. A witness told fire officials it was completely engulfed, the news release said.</p></p><p><p>Firefighters arrived within six minutes, according to the news release. The occupants of the single-story house soon evacuated with their pets, the release said.</p></p><p><p>The fire was quickly knocked down, according to the news release. A total of six engines, two ladder trucks and three command vehicles were dispatched, the fire department said.</p></p><p><p>Early investigation showed the exterior Christmas decorations were a factor in the blaze, according to the fire department.</p></p><p><p>“The fire breeched the soffit and did extend slightly into the attic and a little way into the front door, but all-in-all, another great stop and not a lot of structural damage,” said SVFD Fire Investigator Casey Parr. “The home is still secure and weather tight.”</p></p>